Italiano English
  Top » Catalog » Gavirate »

The Oratory of San Carlo Armino (Fraction of Gavirate)

 
It was built between 1300-1500 and dedicated to St. Roch, when you spread the cult of this saint invoked against the plague, in the district of Armino Gavirate. In 1569 Father Leonetto Chiavone, on a pastoral visit, he finds it partially destroyed. 
In 1600, the family of Besozzi, Lords of Armino, the district wanted to provide a functional church dedicated to San Carlo Borromeo past blessing in the streets of the township. On October 24, 1620 Cardinal Federigo Borromeo, cousin of St. Charles Gavirate passing by to go to the Sacro Monte of Varese, was stopped on the porch of the parish house by a commission led by Matthew Beson and was submitted for the construction of a memorial at the expense of Besozzi same family and the community of a church that had the title and honor to be dedicated to St. Charles as a sign of devotion. The Cardinal of the Holy Mount October 28 approved the memorial. The church, however, will be rebuilt only in 1672 by the sons of Matthew Beson and dedicated to St. Charles. 
Inside it preserves a fragment with the figures of St. Rocco and St. Ambrose: Despite the total loss of color, you can still recognize the two Saints, made by a sculptor of some skill, which has adapted the iconography traditional of the two characters to which, however, confer a certain vitality. Thanks to the two pilasters that frame, clear taste of the Renaissance, allow us to date the relic of the early '500. 
After a period of decline in 1927, the church was returned to the cult and the facade that first looked inside the courtyard is placed on the opposite side of the little square of San Carlo. 
Behind the church is the former Armino Palace Besozzi, on whose door stands the coat of arms of the family, golden crowned eagle on a red field, and some fragments of fresco. Built as a fortified place, as proven by the capacious cellars with vaulted ceiling, and the alleged loopholes, preserved in the noble salon decorated at the top of the walls with a band decorated with frescoes represented some members of the family and some historical scenes.
Reviews
Our products
MODULE_BOXES_EVENTI_BOX_TITLE


Share Product
Share via E-Mail Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

"Distretto Due Laghi" Association - Headquarters: Piazza Matteoti, 8 - 21026 Gavirate VA - Italy
info@distrettoduelaghi.it VAT no.03202900126
Distretto 2 laghi: SMAU finalist for inovation

logo comune di Bardello logo comune di Biandronno logo comune di Comerio logo comune di Gavirate logo comune di Travedona Monate logo ConfCommercio Ascom logo Confesercenti logo CC Campo dei Fiori